ITEAD, otherwise known for their Sonoff line of devices, has just release a $6.99 Zigbee 3.0 dongle. This Zigbee 3.0 dongloe is pre-flashed with the Silicon Labs Zigbee stack, which means that it can be used as a Zigbee coordinator on Home Assistant using the ZHA integration and openHAB straight out of the box.
The ITEAD Zigbee 3.0 dongle is about the size of your average USB memory stick and thus won’t block any other USB ports on your system. It uses a Silicon Labs EFR32MG21 system-on-a-chip (SoC) which is much more powerful and can handle a larger network than the CC2531.
No external antenna…
Sadly, this adapter does not use an external antenna and relies only on the PCB antenna. I have been blown away with the range of my CC2652RB development stick from slaesh, so it is a bit disappointing to see ITEAD no even giving us the option of attaching an antenna.
…and no case
The ITEAD Zigbee 3.0 dongle is clearly an enthusiast’s product. What else would a product designed specifically for Home Assistant and other open home automation systems be? The dongle is only available without a case.
Is the ITEAD Zigbee 3.0 USB dongle compatible with Zigbee2MQTT?
As things stand, the ITEAD Zigbee 3.0 USB dongle is not compatible with the stable release of Zigbee2MQTT. The good news is that support for EFR32 chips using the EmberZNet v8, such as the ITEAD Zigbee 3.0 USB dongle, is currently being worked on. If you wish to use this dongle with Zigbee2MQTT at this very moment, you will need to switch to the dev branch. Keep in mind that the dev branch might not be stable.
- 【Dual-protocol Supporting】Whether Wi-Fi or ZigBee your devices support, now you can control them together on eWeLink APP via the Bridge. Make ZigBee and Wi-Fi Devices Interact
- 【Strong Connectivity, Limitless Possibility 】The Bridge supports to add ZigBee devices that SONOFF has released, like S31 Lite ZigBee smart plug and BASICZBR3 DIY smart switch, making your home smarter.
- ✔ The ZigBee motion sensor will send an instant alert notification to your mobile phone whenever the motion is detected.
- ✔ SONOFF ZigBee Bridge is required. You can connect the sensor to the hub to activate WiFi devices, not merely ZigBee devices. For example, you can set a scene for your living-room light so that it will automatically turn on when you walk through the living-room.
- 【Real-time Temperature & Humidity Feedback】SONOFF SNZB-02 is a ZigBee temperature and humidity sensor that can seamlessly work with SONOFF ZigBee Bridge to track the temperature and humidity change in your home, which all real-time readings can be checked on eWeLink APP.
- 【Works with Alexa】If your Amazon Alexa hub Built-in Zigbee smart home hub, such as Echo (4th generation) and Echo Studio, SNZB-02 can be directly connected to alexa without other zigbee hub. Alexa APP can only display temperature but not humidity.