Home Assistant's Tile Card is the closest an official card has come to the increasingly popular Mushroom Cards, owing to its impressive blend of style and functionality. With the release of Home Assistant 2023.9, we're predicting to see the Tile Card becoming inreasingly prominent in Home Assistant Dashboards shared across the various communities and social media. Let's take a look at all the new features coming to the Tile Card!
What's new in Home Assistant's Tile Card?
The revamped Tile Card boasts a wealth of new features designed to enhance the already rich customization options. Alongside the existing modification possibilities like adjusting the title, selecting an icon, or opting for vertical display, you can now integrate these additional features:
- HVAC mode: Control your home's heating, ventilation, and air conditioning system by setting a temperature range and choosing the mode using presets.
- Water heater mode: Manage the water heating settings by setting the target temperature.
- Temperature control: Regulate the temperature to your liking.
- Cover position: Adjust the position of your smart blinds or curtains.
- Cover tilt: Control the tilt of your smart blinds for perfect lighting.
- Lawn mower: Operate your automated lawn mower.
- Color temperature: Adjust the warmth or coolness of your smart lights.
What's missing from the Tile Card?
I must confess that without a smart HVAC or water heater at my disposal, I'm in no position to suggest improvements for these entities on the Tile Card. I encourage you to annotate your insights in the comments. However, here are a few suggestions I've brewed up, just in case any Home Assistant Dashboard team members happen to stumble upon this:
- Although the light temperature adjustment feature is quite handy, it lacks the ability to tweak colours. The custom RGB Light Card does this splendidly, and I hope to see similar features on the Tile Card soon. A potential alternative could be a colour spectrum slider.
- Likewise, roller shades could benefit from preset options. For instance, I tend to keep my shutters half-open and tilted on most days. This lets in ample natural light but keeps glare off my screens.
- I'd appreciate more preset options for fans. Presently, my air purifier allows me to toggle between three speed settings and an off mode. I'd like to incorporate additional features, such as a sleep mode.
- Lastly, I wish the Tile Card would borrow a leaf from the Mushroom Cards and introduce templates. While I understand Home Assistant is charting a course towards a no-code future, dynamic colours can inject a burst of life into any Dashboard.